mydeposits Jersey and Citizens Advice Jersey have teamed up to offer Jersey residents with face-to-face support and advice on tenancy deposit protection.
Since the 2 November 2015, landlords and letting agents on the island have complied with their legal obligations and safely protected the deposit money of over 4,000 tenants’ with mydeposits Jersey, the scheme authorised by the States of Jersey to administer tenancy deposit protection.
All landlords, letting agents and tenants can use the mydeposits Jersey website to carry out their tasks and also have access to a telephone call centre, but having a physical presence in Jersey is key, according to Eddie Hooker, CEO of the scheme:
“mydeposits Jersey is set up to use online, quickly and easily, but we fully appreciate that some of our users like to meet face-to-face.
We have over nine years’ experience of operating tenancy deposit protection in the UK, which means that all landlords, agents and tenants on the island have access to the highly skilled customer service team based in our headquarters in England.
However, the new relationship with Citizens Advice Jersey also fulfils an important part of our strategy to cater for the needs of all our users, in whichever way they wish to contact us.”
Malcolm Ferey from Citizens Advice said:
“We are perfectly placed to work with mydeposits Jersey and provide landlords and tenants with face-to-face advice and guidance on the basics of tenancy deposit protection.
Citizens Advice are the first port of call for many tenants who have all manner of questions on renting.
We also speak to a large number of landlords seeking answers about a diverse range of questions on how to rent property. Our aim to help support and improve the rental market for all, and work with companies like mydeposits and States of Jersey to professionalise the rental sector. A key part of the new relationship will be to help raise awareness of deposit protection amongst landlords and tenants on the island.”
Minister for Housing, Deputy Anne Pryke said:
“I am very pleased to see mydeposits Jersey and Citizens Advice team up to offer support on tenancy deposit protection. As the tenancy deposit scheme grows, it is important that people have a variety of ways to access the services provided by the scheme. Citizens Advice has a strong reputation in the community and their support will help further improve standards in Jersey’s rented sector.”
Citizens Advice Jersey is able to meet and answer questions from the Jersey public during its open hours of 10am to 3.00pm from Monday to Friday from the New Street office in St Helier. Information is also available on their website www.cab.org.je
For further information, please contact:
Marketing and Communications Executive
NOTES TO EDITORS:
About my|deposits Jersey:
- my|deposits Jersey is the trading name of Tenancy Deposit Solutions Limited, a company jointly owned by the National Landlords Association and HFIS plc T/A Hamilton Fraser Insurance (the Scheme Administrator) to deliver a custodial backed tenancy deposit protection scheme under contract from the States of Jersey
- my|deposits Jersey aims to support landlords and agents to comply with the legislation and provide everyone with the confidence that deposit money is held securely for the duration of the tenancy.
- Landlords and letting agents wishing to use this scheme are required to register with the Scheme Administrator. They can find out more and register by visiting www.mydepositsjersey.je
- Registered members of the Scheme are able to protect and unprotect deposits at the beginning and end of tenancies.
- Since its launch in November 2015, mydeposits Jersey has protected over 4,000 tenant’s deposits.
- In the event of a dispute at the end of the tenancy agreement, both parties are offered access to alternative dispute resolution (ADR). This procedure will be evidence-based, relying on documentation and records.